I'm so inconsistent that this is never updated. So good luck to you.

Thursday, March 1, 2007

On The Road: Episode 5: Finally Here

We made it to North Carolina. we made back on Tuesday but I have been without access to the web since Monday. It was a good trip and I have lots of little stories but they won't seem that interesting to you all. So I decided to make some thing up. Not really, I actually thought I would write about what this event means in the life of our friends the Thorntons...

We were driving across the country and it suddenly hit me that the Thorntons were starting a new life. They weren't just moving for a home. they didn't leave just for jobs or the convience of Southern hospitality (which is completely true, these are the nicest people in the world) they left because this is where their new lives begin. It is something to admire. They left the comfortable, the familiar, their friends, part of their family (Ben's sister moved with them), their jobs, and their church to find their own way in life. These are the things you know are the most important things in life to them. they up and left them, they didn't leave them behind but rather they transplanted those things in order to pursue a life they desire. This is a hard thing. I am in the process of looking at schools in the "Great North West" and will be looking forward to finding a new way of life, but with trepidation. The Thorntons did what most people are too afraid to do. For that they will always be admired. I hope that when the time comes for me to move, I would have the same constitution that they left with.

They are a little nervous about looking for a new church and body of believers, but they will find something. It is important for them to find the new body. They know that, and they are excited for their new lives. So I know our prayers are all for them.

Back to the update. We have been unpacking for two days and still seem to have a full truck to unload. Yesterday we did very little unpacking. Instead we spent the day between Costco and Home Depot. Jen spent a little over 5 and half hours, against her will, at the Home Depot. I have never seen some one so ready to kill for the site of the outdoors. Not the woods, no. She longed for the fresh air of Durham. She was ready to crack and eventually after dinner we did. I got a little stir crazy and let loose with the social commentary. I have to say, I am a lot funnier when people have lost the ability to hold onto their minds. At any rate, we all were a little nuts last night and we had a good time. We were able to laugh at the day and find the good things and see the back roads of Durham. I have to be honest, I have never been so scared of not finding our way back as I was last night. We were driving in a foreign land Ben just kept turning. Not really sure of where he was, he would make a turn down a street that looked a lot like the town scene in Back To The Future 2. where they go back and Biff had taken over and the whole area was just slums. It was a little like that, but scarier.

So we finally found our way and made it home, but it was an adventure. An adventure I don't want to repeat. Well, that's all for today. I have some work to do now. Hope to see you all soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home