I'm so inconsistent that this is never updated. So good luck to you.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Trepidation, what a great word.

First I would like to give a hole by hole score sheet for Monday's disc golf game.

hole 1-par
hole 2-par
hole 3-par
hole 4-par
hole 5-par
hole 6-par
hole 7-1 over
hole 8-par
hole 9-par (Really close to a birdie)
hole 10-par
hole 11-par
hole 12-2 over
hole 13-1 over
hole 14-par
hole 15-1 over
hole 16-par
hole 17-1 over
hole 18-par


Now for the important stuff. I've been looking at a school in Oregon called Multnomah. With the life changes going on in my friend circle, I think now would be the best time to move away. I am thinking that I want to move, but I am making that feeling with "trepidation". I can't say enough how much I love the people here but I feel like God is allowing me to start to feel distant from the church, even though I work there, to prepare me to move on. That is the only thing I can think of for why I feel distant. I am there all the time, I pour myself into the ministries, I am focused on making them better, but it just seems that it might be time for me to move on. I love Cypress Church, but I realize there isn't much of a future for me there. I can't stay in one place forever cause that would render me useless for the Kingdom of God. In ministry, the life expectantcy is about 6 years in one place. I think that is by design. God wants those who are in ministry to go out and not become stagnant with where they are. Also He wants to use us where ever we are needed the most. So I am here to say that, Lord I am willing send me. It may be with great trepidation, but it is with obediance that I go.

Added at 12:15 am on Wed. Feb, 21st.
Note Of Clarification: I am not burnt out on Cypress Church. I still love being involved with the ministry. I have no intention of leaving the church for anything other moving away. I am not looking down at the ground sulking about the church. I love it. I am also not worried about where I am going to be in the next few years. I am just thinking out loud and looking for some advice for where I should go next. But thank you for some of your concered phone calls. I appreciate them.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Lee Jones said...

Yo Josh. If you do go to Oregon, I do have two pieces of advice on ministry: plan to stay at least two years in any one position. Also, understand that the "six year life" is common but should not be expected.

The "six years in one place" thing is probably less by (God's) design than by attrition. That is, a gradual reduction in personnel because of constant stress. Studies have found that ministers go through relationship cycles, with a "crisis" occurring about the fifth year. If you weather the crisis, then long-lasting, fruitful ministry can develop. Too many people run rather than work on the ministry they have.

Anyway, I didn't want you to think that you'd be moving every six years or something. I wanted to encourage you, that you can put down roots, it just (apparently) takes effort, like marriage.

February 20, 2007 at 1:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home