I'm so inconsistent that this is never updated. So good luck to you.

Saturday, June 9, 2007

Friendships

I have come to realize that I don't really have a best friend and in turn I have become a mediocre friend at best. I don't really pursue any one for their friendship nor do I try to cultivate a best friend within the relationships that i already have. So here are some thoughts on why I am not a good friend...

Back when i was in Jr. High, I had this friend named Justin Barney. He was my best friend. we did everything together and he was fun. I always at his house and he at mine. We played soccer, skateboarded, goldeneye, and listened to the Beatles. We had a good relationship. We were able to talk about anything. It was cool. Then We changed High Schools and drifted apart and he eventually moved to Missouri. After that i haven't really been close with anyone. There is no one that I would say that I want to hang out with all the time or could tell anything to. I have people who are there for me, but not in that best friend sort of way. I am kind of on my own. I justified that feeling by saying that I am just in a different place than every one else. Not in an arrogant "I'm better than everyone" sort of way, just the I'm not where they are. People seem to have these deep seeded relationships that no one can break into. Where as I don;t have that. I think it's all because of me. I am the only one to blame for it. I tend to be a home body. I keep to myself. It's not like people don't like me, I seem to have friends when I go out and people seem to enjoy my company. It just seems that those relationships only go so deep.

So I, in turn, push this facade of best friendship with whomever I am dating. Not conscientiously, but rather subconsciously. I enter into these relationships with the idea that they are my best friend. When the relationship sizzles out I find that I am by my self because I have pushed them away. I can see it all over the place. So I have realized that I don't treat the people in my life with the respect that they deserve. Sad times for me.

The bible is chalked full of "one another" passages. I have been living my life as I saw fit. Or as I thought God wanted my personal relationship with Him to be. It revolved around my thinking that God is very personal therefore, not concerned with my friendships. He is concerned about both. They will know we are Christians by our love, not by our exclusive relationships with Him. Those personal times with God are great and should be strong, but it needs the balance of friendships.

All and all, I need to learn how to be a friend. I obviously don't get it. I don't know how to be a friend to people. I can be friendly, and kind of deep with others, but not in the way God has called me to be. I need to be a best friend, and I also need to find one.

5 Comments:

Blogger Love That Bob said...

Your not going to believe this, but for some reason, the thought of who your "best friend" is crossed my mind. Though not like I was thinking "does he consider me his best friend?". But more of just a passing thought. Though I absolutly consider you one of my better friends. I would have to say, with all honesty, we really arent "best friends", in the truest sense of the word. And i think youd agree too. Well of course you agree, otherwise you wouldnt have written this. It isnt really something that can be discussed to get an absolute answer, i guess. It just is, or isnt. Such is life. But if I ever had a "consigliere", youd be him.

You know, I dont really think that it is "you" that is the problem. Its kind of like, if you'd excuse a bad simile, you missed out on the best friend bus. You said, in high school you never really found true friendship. Or in your words, in one of your other blogs which parallels this one, "All the time I smoked pot". Its like high school was the time to make your best friends in. College is too late. I dont know, thats just how it seems to me.

OH, and no matter what, a girl wont ever fit into the "best friend" position. There are just way to many complications that arise from that level of friendom with a girl.

So, I dont know what me saying that acomplished....but there you are. It would be unfair however, just just say that your S.O.L. on finding a best friend. But "looking" for a best friend would be about a fruitful as playing poker with monopoly money. Unlike looking for a girl to be in a relationship with, searching for a best friend is just....well...theres no other word for it...LAME! I dont know what to tell you...it would seem that i like to add onto more of what you said, for no apparent reason, instead of helping. Just dont beat yourself up about it...only i can do that to you.

love bob

June 10, 2007 at 1:53 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i agree with Bob in the fact that you shouldn't be "looking" for a best friend. hugh is the only person that i consider my best friend, but we have known each other since kindergarten. i have always had friend problems, because i cannot trust alot of people because they dont know how to keep stuff personal and quiet. the reason i dont go to the college group is because i dont consider anyone there "friends" they are all aquaintances excluding you, zach, and playboy (since kolton and jake dont go). i don't know man, i've tried to be friendly with people before and it just doesn't work in some cases. so i just moved on. i just woke up so i can't think fully right now, i hope some of that made a little sense...i'm not sure if any of it did, but ya just wanted to give my thougts on it

June 10, 2007 at 9:31 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Awww....Uht. Hurting my feelings. I've known you since back in the Justin Barney days, lol. I never get any recognition. WAHHHH! =)

June 10, 2007 at 10:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey.... I have known you for a very long time... josh...remember we dated for two weeks.... hehehe... Josh you should just trust in the Lord that God will put someone in your life that will complete you. Maybe you have someone already that you aren't fully letting in...
Love,
Tina

June 10, 2007 at 12:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friendships are interesting to say the least. It is ok that you have not found your best friend yet. Remember that God in the future will make your wife your best friend. God places people in your life for a reason. You don't have to have a "best" or an label on your friends. Just make sure you have people in your life to share your ups, downs, stuggles and sucesses with and you will do well.
~Jenni

June 14, 2007 at 4:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home